What do you think Coontz means by characterizing the 50’s as innocent?
I think Coontz is talking about the average day “leave it to beaver” family in which there is a bread-winning father, home-making mother, and dependent kids that was the social standard in the 50’s. These families had an innocent exterior where people thought that nothing bad happened in their lives, just wake up, make breakfast, send the kids off to school, go to work, come home, eat dinner, etc.
What terms would you use to describe our decade?
I would use terms like free-willed, drunk, confused, under the influence, unhappy, happy, not innocent, entertainment filled, and lied to, to describe our decade. These are just a handful of terms that describe this generation.
Why?
I used those terms like not innocent, under the influence, and free willed because that’s just how it is in today’s world. Kids are doing drugs and having sex in the 5th grade and even younger, its just sad. When it comes to being free willed, the youth of today want to retaliate against their parents and move out as fast as possible.

No comments:
Post a Comment